Wednesday 25 February 2009

How things change.

The last couple of years have been a bit tight financially, we kind of continued to live like a London-based-no-children-to-worry-about couple long after we had left London, got a massive mortgage and a couple of expensive boys (kids need all kinds of shit like food and clothes and stuff not to mention Batman figures and Marvel comics). All that sitting alongside our champagne tastes made us realised we would be heading for disaster if we didn't sort it out. Before the official credit crunch we credit crunched ourselves in a major belt tightening project, I didn't buy any more shoes and we cut down on getting all the new release cd and dvds we wanted. Apart from the dress I wore to my sister in law's wedding I haven't bought any new clothes since Oct 2007, not even knickers as I had so many of them too (two double drawers, hahaha double drawers...sorry). I figured the three double wardrobes of clothes could actually be altered or re-imagined, I have very advanced sewing skills and needed to get my shit together and apply them. We stopped using credit cards and cut down on flashy wine and M&S food treats.
At first it was tough but we are now reaping the benefits, we are actually living within our means and almost being in the black at the end of the month, debts are shrinking and my husband's substantial wages aren't just being chewed up my credit cards and loans.
As for me I am selling my work left right and centre, two big orders for jewellery yesterday and a commission inquiry this morning. For the first time in ages I shopped at the supermarket without having to add it up in my head as I went around. In fact it felt quite odd having extra moolah. Obviously I am going to keep being careful, I don't want to fuck it up by blowing it all on some Manolos but it felt fucking marvellous as I paid the checkout girl knowing I had essentially paid for it by embroidering and making and drawing.

No comments: